Many of you have expressed a desire to do something in response to the news about Rev. Judy Howard Peterson. For those in the Chicago area, stay tuned for information about local events. In the meantime, there are five things you can do now:
- Pray for all involved and impacted by this decision. Thank God for the blessing Pastor Judy has been to thousands and for the great work North Park University and the Evangelical Covenant denomination have done in the world.
- Volunteer to be a delegate to represent your Covenant church at the denomination’s Annual Meeting June 21-23 in Minneapolis (you must be a member/partner). Delegates will be voting on a new denomination president and North Park University president as well as resolutions and pastoral matters. Touch base with your pastor, church council or leadership team ASAP! Fundraising may be necessary.
- Start conversations about sexuality in your church. Read materials with the goal of understanding different viewpoints. Approach the Leadership Team/Council to let them know that you would like to start conversations. Offer to host conversations by teaching a book or by starting Listening Circles. Learn to ask questions. Learn to listen respectfully. Learn how to share what is on your heart in a way that does not exclude.
- Write to the Board of Ordered Ministry, who will meet with Pastor Judy on January 19. Please send your message in the next two weeks to all five individuals listed below and request that your message be shared with the entire board before the meeting. We urge you to be Covenant in your interactions – respectful and thoughtful.
- Send Pastor Judy an encouraging note at bettertogethercov at gmail dot com.
We recognize that this decision has caused much sorrow and anger. May these emotions inspire us to follow the words of Micah 6:8, “What does the Lord require of you but to act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God”. We are glad to have you join us as companions on this journey.
Board of Ordered Ministry officials:
Chair of the Board of Ordered Ministry
Secretary of the Board of Ordered Ministry
President of the Covenant Ministerium
Interim Executive Minister of Develop Leaders
President of the Evangelical Covenant Church